Effect of partial rootzone drying on growth, gas exchange, and yield of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.)

Book Title: NA
Year Published: 2009
Month Published: NA
Author: Campos, Huitzim©♭ngari ; Ram©Ưrez-Ayala, Carlos ; S©Łnchez-Garc©Ưa, Prometeo ; Trejo, Carlos ; Pe©ła-Valdivia, CeciliaB.
Book Group Author: NA
Abstract:

Three levels of partial rootzone drying (PRD) were evaluated and compared with conventional irrigation, in terms of gas exchange, water relations, growth, yield, fruit quality, and water use efficiency in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) saladette-type plants growing in pots with volcanic material and drip irrigation. There were four treatments, a control, in which available water (AW) in the whole root system was allowed to fall to 90%; PRD90-30, in which on one side of the divided root AW was allowed to fall to 90% and on the other side it was allowed to fall to 30%; PRD70-30, in which on one side of the divided root AW was allowed to fall to 70% and on the other side it was allowed to fall to 30%; PRD50-30, in which on one side of the divided root AW was allowed to fall to 50% and on the other side it was allowed to fall to 30%. When each treatment reached the desired AW level they were then irrigated. At the same time, when on one side AW reached values <=30% irrigation was shifted to the other side. Results showed a significant decrease of leaf water potential up to 14% in PRD plants compared with control. Shoot dry weight and leaf area decreased in relation to substrate available water in PRD plants. Stomatal conductance and transpiration rate were lower, up to 31 and 18%, respectively, in plants with PRD compared with control. However, CO₂ assimilation rate was similar among treatments which along with the reduction of transpiration in PRD plants, increased instantaneous water use efficiency by 28, 25, and 33% in PRD90-30, PRD70-30, and PRD50-30 treatments, respectively, compared to control. Yield, number of fruits and fruit total soluble solids content were similar among treatments. An increase of 25% in fruit titratable acidity was reached in PRD50-30. Fruit firmness increased up to 31% in PRD treatments. PRD treatments allowed a water irrigation saving up to 46%.

Pages: 493 - 499
URL: http://0-search.ebscohost.com.catalog.library.colostate.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=cookie,ip,url,cpid&custid=s4640792&db=agr&AN=IND44189781&site=ehost-live
Volume: 120
Number: 4
Journal: Scientia horticulturae
Journal ISO: NA
Organization: NA
Publisher: NA
ISBN: NA
ISSN: 03044238
DOI: NA
Keywords:

shoots, dry matter accumulation, leaf area, root systems,leaf water potential, soluble solids, firmness, photosynthesis, stomatalconductance, transpiration, water use efficiency, rhizosphere, soilwater content, deficit irrigation, Lycopersicon esculentum, tomatoes,plant-water relations, crop quality, crop yield, plant growth, gasexchange

Source: EBSCO
Series:
Series Number:
Document Type:
Subject Category: